Essential Skills--Made Easy! Updated and Expanded for J2SE 5
Learn to program in Java from master programmer and best-selling author Herb Schildt. Completely revised and updated to cover Java 2 Platform, Standard Edition 5 (J2SEj 5), this step-by-step guide will have you programming in practically no time. You’ll start at the beginning, learning why Java is the preeminent language of the Internet, how it relates to object-oriented programming (OOP), and the general form of a Java program. Next, it’s on to Java fundamentals, including data types, operators, program control statements, classes, objects, and methods. You’ll then progress to more advanced topics, such as inheritance, exception handling, the I/O system, multithreading, and applets. Of course Herb covers the powerful, new features added by J2SE 5, such as generics, autoboxing, enumerations, and static import. Get started programming in Java today with this easy-to-follow tutorial. Designed for Easy Learning:
- Modules--Each concept is divided into logically organized modules (chapters), ideal for self-paced learning
- Critical Skills--Each module opens with the specific skills covered in the module
- Mastery Checks--End-of-module reviews test knowledge using short-answer, multiple-choice, and fill-in-the-blank questions
- Ask the Experts--Q&A sections throughout are filled with bonus information and helpful tips
- Progress Checks--Quick self-assessment sections check your progress
- Projects--Practical exercises show how to apply the critical skills learned in each module
- Annotated Syntax--Example code annotated with commentary that describes the programming techniques being illustrated
About the Author: Herbert Schildt is a leading authority on Java, C, C++, and C#. His programming books have sold more than 3 million copies worldwide and have been translated into all major foreign languages. He is the author of numerous best-sellers, including Java: The Complete Reference, J2SE 5 Edition; C++: The Complete Reference; C: The Complete Reference; and many others.
About the Author
Herb Schildt (Mahomet, IL) is a leading authority on C and C++ and a best-selling author whose books have sold more than 2 million copies. His acclaimed C and C++ books include Teach Yourself C, C++ from the Ground Up, C++: The Complete Reference, Java Programmer's Reference, STL Programming from the Ground Up, Windows 98 Programming from the Ground Up, and co-author of C/C++ Annotated Archives.