- Deploy, manage, and troubleshoot any wireless LAN ... home or business
- WLAN technology for non-experts: clear, accurate, easy
- Proven quick-start configurations for Windows®, and Linux®, and MacOS®
- No-hassle wireless security solutions
- Covers IEEE 802.11a, 802.11b, 802.11g, and 802.11i/WPA
- Contrasts IEEE 802.11 WLAN technology with IEEE 802.16 WMAN and IEEE 802.15 WPAN technology
Expert knowledge and insight for deploying and managing any wireless LAN.
In this book, best-selling networking author Thomas Maufer explains how wireless LANs work, and how to make them work for you-reliably and securely. Maufer takes you under the hood with today's latest WLAN technologies, offering practical insight and context for deploying, managing, and troubleshooting WLANs in any environment, from the enterprise to the home.
- Covers all leading IEEE 802.11 wireless standards: 802.11a, 802.11b, 802.11g, and 802.11i/WPA
- Shows how to deploy small, mid-sized, large, public, business, and home networks
- Provides sample Windows®, Linux®, and MacOS® configurations that help you get started quickly
- Demystifies WLAN security so you can understand how to protect your data
- Illuminates the 802.11 protocol so you can troubleshoot more effectively
- Previews tomorrow's WLAN standards and applications for business and home (IEEE 802.11j and 802.11n)
Whether you're a network/system administrator or a power user, Thomas Maufer demystifies wireless LAN technology... so you can maximize the benefits while minimizing the hassles.
About the Author
THOMAS MAUFER, author of Deploying IP Multicast in the Enterprise and IP Fundamentals (Prentice Hall PTR), works at NVIDIA Corporation, helping to design advanced networking capabilities for next-generation PC platform processors. He has managed computer networks at NASA/GSFC, participated in the InteropNet Network Operations Center Team, and worked for 3Com Corporation on virtually all of its networking products.