Protect your network and web sites from malicious attacks with help from this cutting-edge guide. Extreme Exploits is packed with never-before-published advanced security techniques and concise instructions that explain how to defend against devastating vulnerabilities in software and network infrastructure. This book gives you detailed analyses of modern threats and their solutions along with checklists for developing defenses. You’ll also be introduced to a winning methodology for custom vulnerability assessments including attack profiling and the theatre of war concept. Through in-depth explanations of underlying technologies, you’ll learn to prepare your network and software from threats that don’t yet exist. This is a must-have volume for anyone responsible for network security.
- Secure your critical domain name system (DNS) infrastructure
- Ensure reliable Internet connectivity amidst a myriad of attacks
- Implement effective intrusion detection and prevention technologies
- Prevent e-mail abuse using advanced filtering, encryption, and other methods
- Stop data theft and egress exploitation by altering packet filtering rules
- Defend against viruses, worms, bots, Trojans, and other malicious code
- Use IP sinkholes and backscatter analysis to trap and gain knowledge from scanning and infiltration attempts
- Secure wireless networks using a variety of technologies
- Create a customized vulnerability assessment methodology for your organization
- Use proven digital forensics techniques to investigate attacks
- Learn to protect your software from little-known vulnerabilities
About the Authors: Victor Oppleman is an accomplished author, speaker, and patent-holder in the field of network security and a specialized consultant to some of the world’s most admired companies. His open source software is used by thousands of engineers worldwide. Oliver Friedrichs is a Senior Manager in Symantec Security Response, the organization responsible for the delivery of anti-virus definitions, intrusion detection updates, and early warning technologies within Symantec. Mr. Friedrichs also co-founded SecurityFocus and Secure Networks. Brett Watson has 17 years experience in networks and security for some of the world’s largest Internet Service Providers and enterprise networks. He holds a patent for one of the first large-scale content distribution platforms known as Hopscotch.