Themes are among the most powerful features that can be used to customize a web site, especially in Plone. Using custom themes can help you brand your site for a particular corporate image; it ensures standards compliance and creates easily navigable layouts. But most Plone users still continue to use default themes as developing and deploying themes that are flexible and easily maintainable is not always straightforward.
This book teaches best practices of Plone theme development, focusing on Plone 3. It provides you with all the information useful for creating a robust and flexible Plone theme. It also provides a sneak peek into the future of Plone's theming system.
In this book you will learn how to create flexible, powerful, and professional Plone themes. It is a step-by-step tutorial on how to work with Plone themes. It also provides a more holistic look at how a real-world theme is constructed. We look at the tools required for theming a web site. The book covers major topics such as configuring the development environment, creating a basic theme product, add-on tools and skinning tricks, integrating multimedia with Plone, and configuring your site's look and feel through the Zope Management Interface (ZMI). Finally, the book takes a close look at the thrilling and greatly simplified future of theming Plone sites.
What you will learn from this book?
- Create attractive themes using Plone 3 programming concepts
- Customize your Plone theme and get a new look and feel for your web site
- Set up a productive development environment for building a quality theme product
- Use graphic design, Subversion, and other helpful tools that make theming easier and more efficient
- Use Zope 3 components for building powerful Plone themes
- Create an actual theme product using the Plone 3 theming concepts
- Embed multimedia in a Plone template to make your theme more attractive and useful
- Deploy and test your theme by following best practices
This book provides a holistic look at theming Plone sites as well as step-by-step instructions on how to create Plone themes. The book first briefly introduces the concepts and necessary tools and then moves on to describing the concepts needed for customizing templates in Plone. It also provides handy tips and tricks along the way to simplify the theming process.
Who this book is written for?
This book is targeted at professional web designers working with Plone who want to create their own unique look and feel for a Plone web site.
About the Author
Veda Williams has worked in software development for 18 years, which includes her three-year stint as a Plone skinner. She currently works for ONE/Northwest in Seattle, Washington. Veda is an editor for the documentation section of plone.org, and in addition to this book, she is writing a book on theming for Plone, due for publication in Spring 2009.