This book covers the theory behind version control and how it can help developers become more efficient, work better as a team, and keep on top of software complexity. Version control, done well, is your "undo" button for the project: nothing is final, and mistakes are easily rolled back.
This book describes Subversion 1.3, the latest and hottest open source version control system, using a recipe-based approach that will get you up and running quickly and correctly. Learn how to use Subversion the right way-the pragmatic way.
With this book, you can:
- Keep all project assets safe--not just source code--and never run the risk of losing a great idea
- Know how to undo bad decisions--even directories and symlinks are versioned
- Learn how to share code safely, and work in parallel for maximum efficiency
- Install Subversion and organize, administer and backup your repository
- Share code over a network with Apache, svnserve, or ssh
- Create and manage releases, code branches, merges and bug fixes
- Manage 3rd party code safely
- Use all the latest Subversion 1.3 features including locking and path-based security, and much more!
Now there's no excuse not to use professional-grade version control.