This book covers Android app design fundamentals in Android Studio using Java programming language.
The author assumes you have no experience in app development. The book starts with the installation of the required development environment and setting up the emulators. Then, the simplest “Hello World” app is developed step by step. In the next chapter, basics of the Java programming language are given with practical examples. Screenshots and code snippets are clearly given in the book to guide the reader. After the Java lecture, 7 complete Android apps are developed again by step by step instructions. Each code line is explained. As the reader follows the development of the example apps, he/she will learn designing user interfaces, connecting interface objects to code, developing efficient Java code and testing the app on emulators and real devices.
The last chapter explains the installation of the Unity game engine, developing a simple 2D platform game in Unity, setting up touch controls for Android environment and exporting the game as a standalone .apk file ready to be installed on Android devices.
Sample apps developed in this book are as follows:
1. Headlight app: Learn the basics of app development and use buttons in your code.
2. Body mass index (BMI) calculator app: Using input boxes, performing calculations and displaying the results on the screen.
3. Simple dice roller app: Using random number generator functions, including images in your project, displaying images on the screen and changing the displayed image programmatically.
4. The compass app: Accessing the magnetic field sensor, setting required permissions, extracting the direction angle and animating a compass figure.
5. Show my location app: Creating a map project, setting required permissions, accessing GPS device and showing real time location on the map.
6. S.O.S. sender app: Adding SMS functionality, setting required permissions and sending real time location using SMS.
7. Development of a 2D platform game: Installing Unity game engine, developing the visual part of the game, implementing the game logic in the code, setting up touch controls and exporting the game as a standalone .apk file.
This book includes 237 figures and 130 code snippets that are used to explain app development concepts clearly. Full resolution colour figures and complete project files can be downloaded from the book's companion website: www.yamaclis.com/android.
Astrophysical Lasers `A book of great educational value for graduate students and professional astronomers. ' Professor Dame Carole Jordan, University of Oxford
Progress in modern radio astronomy led to the discovery of space masers in the microwave range, and it became a powerful tool for studies of interstellar star-forming molecular...
GSM - Architecture, Protocols and Services With around 3 billion subscribers, GSM is the world's most commonly used technology for wireless communication. Providing an overview of the innovations that have fuelled this phenomena, GSM: Architecture, Protocols and Services, Third Edition offers a clear introduction to the field of cellular systems. Special emphasis is placed on... Advances in Atomic, Molecular, and Optical Physics, Volume 49
This series, established in 1965, is concerned with recent developments in the general area of atomic, molecular and optical physics. The field is in a state of rapid growth, as new experimental and theoretical techniques are used on many old and new problems.
Topics covered include related applied areas, such as atmospheric science,...
Cascading Style Sheets: The Definitive Guide, 2nd Edition
If you are a web designer or document author interested in sophisticated page styling, improved accessibility, and saving time and effort, this book is for you. All you really need before starting the book is a decent knowledge of HTML 4.0. The better you know HTML, of course, the better prepared you'll be. You will need to...
Algorithms and Computation: 18th International Symposium, ISAAC 2007, Sendai, Japan, December 17-19, 2007, Proceedings (Lecture Notes in Computer Science)
This book constitutes the refereed proceedings of the 18th International Symposium on Algorithms and Computation, ISAAC 2007, held in Sendai, Japan, in December 2007. The 77 revised full papers presented together with two invited talks were carefully reviewed and selected from 220 submissions. The papers included topical sections on...
Configuration Management Principles and Practice
Configuration management (CM) is an important, but often neglected, practice that allows application developers and project managers to better identify potential problems, manage changes, and track the progress of software projects. An effective CM strategy—one that adheres to the practice's complexity while harnessing its depth—can...