Has disaster struck? If you’re reading this, something very bad may have already happened to your PC. Or maybe you’re wisely looking ahead to any of several what-if scenarios. Either way, PC Disaster and Recovery is the book you need to recover from today’s disaster and not lose sleep over the ones that lie around the corner. No matter how dire the situation, expert, step-by-step instructions will keep you cool and focused and get you back on your feet. Coverage includes:
- Understanding how hardware, OS, and applications work together
- Limiting your risks
- Assembling a PC recovery resource kit
- Drafting a disaster recovery plan
- Detecting, analyzing, and diagnosing problems
- Restarting a problem PC
- Fixing problems with upgrades
- Stabilizing your operating system
- Understanding and troubleshooting hardware failures
- Avoiding power and overheating problems
- Diagnosing, monitoring, and troubleshooting performance problems
- Recovering lost and damaged files and applications
- Recovering from small-network disasters
- Finding help online
- Knowing when and how to start from scratch
- Resurrecting a dead hard drive
- Knowing when to call professionals
- Learn to Assess and Minimize Your Computing Risks
- Recover Lost Data and Repair Damaged Applications
- Diagnose Problems Systematically—The Right Way, the First Time
- Know When and Where to Turn for Outside Help
Revised and updated, this second edition of Walter Gautschi's successful Numerical Analysis explores computational methods for problems arising in the areas of classical analysis, approximation theory, and ordinary differential equations, among others. Topics included in the book are presented with a view toward...
Iconoclast: A Neuroscientist Reveals How to Think Differently
No organization can survive without iconoclasts -- innovators who single-handedly upturn conventional wisdom and manage to achieve what so many others deem impossible.
Though indispensable, true iconoclasts are few and far between. In Iconoclast, neuroscientist Gregory Berns explains why. He explores the constraints...
Elastomere Friction: Theory, Experiment and Simulation
Understanding elastomer friction is essential for the development of tyres, but also for sealings and other components. Thus it is of great technical importance. There are many aspects to modelling frictional processes in which an elastomer is interacting with a rough surface, ranging from theoretical formulations, leading to reduced and...
Distributed Multiple Description Coding: Principles, Algorithms and Systems
This book examines distributed video coding (DVC) and multiple description coding (MDC), two novel techniques designed to address the problems of conventional image and video compression coding. Covering all fundamental concepts and core technologies, the chapters can also be read as independent and self-sufficient, describing each...
Algebraic Methodology and Software Technology: 12th International Conference, AMAST 2008 Urbana, IL, USA, July 28-31, 2008, Proceedings (Lecture Notes in Computer Science) This book constitutes the refereed proceedings of the 12th International Conference on Algebraic Methodology and Software Technology, AMAST 2008, held in Urbana, IL, USA, in July 2008.
The 28 revised full papers presented together with 3 invited talks were carefully reviewed and selected from 58 submissions. Among the topics covered are all...