Webmasters and Web programmers around the world know that PHP and MySQL provide a robust, easy-to-learn, open-source solution for creating dynamic, database-driven Web sites for eCommerce and content management. In fact, PHP is used in one of every three Web sites on the Internet and MySQL has been downloaded millions of times. PHP and MySQL provide a freely downloadable and widely supported alternative to ASP.NET.
Written by the bestselling author of PHP & MySQL For Dummies, this book provides six discreet minibooks that show you not only how to program in PHP, create and administer a MySQL database, and manipulate MySQL data via a Web interface, but also shows you how to create a secure Web site, and how to code the most popular Web applications, such as login programs and shopping cart applications.
The minibooks are organized as follows:
About the Author
- Book I: PHP Programming - Setting Up Your PHP Environment, PHP Basics, Building PHP Scripts, PHP and Your Operating System, Object-Oriented Programming.
- Book II: Using MySQL - Setting Up MySQL, Administering MySQL, Building a Database, Other Administrative Tasks, Using MySQL Administrator, Using MySQL Query, Using phpMyAdmin.
- Book III: Using PHP with MySQL - Communicating with the Database; Creating and Modifying Database Structure; Adding, Updating, and Removing Data; Retrieving Data from the Database; Advanced Features.
- Book IV: Security - Server Security, Apache Security, Programming Securely in PHP, Using SSL.
- Book V: PHP Extensions - Introducing Extensions, Working with Packages Using PEAR, Using the XML Extension, Generating Graphics with the GD Extension.
- Book VI: PHP Web Applications - Building and Processing Dynamic Forms, Making Information Available on Multiple Web Pages, Building a Login Application, Building an Online Catalog, Building a Shopping Cart, Building a Content Management System.
- Book VII: Installation Appendixes - Installing PHP, Installing MySQL, Installing Apache.
is the author of PHP &MySQL For Dummies
, which is in its third edition. She has also written PHP & MySQL Everyday Apps For Dummies
and PHP & MySQL: Your visual blueprint for creating dynamic, database-driven Web sites.
In addition, Janet is the author of Spring into Linux
and a co-author of Mastering Visually Dreamweaver CS3 and Flash CS3 Professional.
Janet has 20 years of experience in the computing field. Most recently, she worked as a Web designer and programmer in an engineering firm for four years. Prior to that, Janet worked for 13 years in a university environment, where she was a systems analyst. During her tenure, she supervised the installation and operation of computing resources, designed and developed a data archive, supported faculty and students in their computer usage, wrote numerous technical papers, and developed and presented seminars on a variety of technology topics.